The first business place built in Wycheproof was the Mount Wycheproof Hotel, a weatherboard building of five rooms, on the western side of the Mount, The first store was established by Mr Fred Passey, on the Eastern side of the Mount & with it the first Post Office. Mr Felix Smith built a hotel & store - the Royal Mail. The post office,on the eastern side of the Mount was transfered from Mr JJ Ryan to Mr Felix Smith, who conducted it until the railway line was constructed , giving Wycheproof its first telegraphic communication.
The new townships first general store was set up in 1876, when the store was built and a Mr Kozminsky, with his partner Mr Hamgurg , began business. On February 3, 1882, Mr Kozminsky sold his interest in the store to his partner.Business apparently flourished for at the end of March the same year, Mr Hamburg had bought the business completely from his former partner (The store was located on the corner of Charles St and Broadway) continuing then for 3 years until he sold in March 1885,to George Tipping, of StArnaud. Mr Tipping ran the business until 1906 when he sold out to George McDonald, who earlier had been an employee at the store.
Mr McDonald bought Tipping's store, demolished it and used a large portion of the materials for additions to his own store (originally built by Mr Stowe) and this combined building is still in use today. The liquor licence No 210 has been a continuous licence since 1877 to this day